Monday, May 5, 2014

Karmic Lubricant

Let’s talk Karmic Lubricant … we all have it and we all use it; some more liberally than others. I have a person in my life that goes through quite a bit of it. As a quadruple Sagittarius, I have such a hard time watching this person grease the wheels of their life with the liberal application of it instead of speaking and facing the truth of their actions. Now, that’s not to say that I don’t a have tube or two laying around in my own life, let’s get real here.

What is Karmic Lubricant you ask? I actually saw this term as part of a quote from the most unlikely of television shows and just couldn’t shake it; so much so, I really sat with it for quite awhile and found it to be a truly a brilliant modern euphemism. Karmic Lubricant is what we use to compartmentalize an action or behavior we are ashamed of or feeling guilt for. We justify this behavior or action; we make an excuse for it; we become our own best lawyers in order to produce the karmic lubricant we need to squeeze this unpleasant experience into a tiny compartment in the back of our mind in order to forget it, or sweep it under our own “mental rug” instead of dealing with it, owning it or being accountable for it.

So why does the behavior of a person in my life who uses Karmic Lubricant so liberally in their own life so irritating to me … simple, because I use it too and maybe more than I’d like to admit. Oh how life slaps us in the face with the behavior/wound that needs to and is ready to be healed. The people in our lives that are most to irritating us, become our best mirrors and teachers. It made me think of a quote from Brene Brown, “Loving ourselves through the process of owning our own story is the bravest thing we’ll ever do”.

I guess it’s time then. My own supply of Karmic Lubricant must be running low, as it seems to be presenting itself. Part of “owning one's own story”, and all of it, is finding the compassion for those around us that aren’t ready to own their story and are too afraid to put the lubricant down. Just because it’s time to learn to love my own life, as it is in this moment, doesn’t mean everyone has to do it too. Sure, it makes it much easier when others are walking on the same path as we are, but I rarely think that happens in real life and postponing one’s own journey because it’s uncomfortable to do it alone, defeats the purpose in the first place.

Karma is a funny thing though, the more you stack up, good or bad, the more the Universe responds to what you put out there. Beware what you put out into the world, as it has a way of finding its way back to you when you least expect it. So lesson here is to “own your own story” … it doesn’t have to be pretty, it doesn’t have to have a happy ending, it doesn’t need to read like a fairytale or a reality show filled with drama at every turn. It is your beautiful, messy, sometimes disappointing, loving story that you don’t need to justify or compartmentalize. Just own in and do better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment